- The aged ruling monarch of the Realm of Vilgar in mid-seventh century England.
- A kind and gentle king, he lost his wife during the birth of his only son, Audric.
- King Steffen’s son and the future heir to the throne of Vilgar.
- Becomes King upon the death of his father Steffen.
The Wizard Malecar
- Appointed by King Steffen as the First Wizard of Vilgar.
- Has designs on ruling over Vilgar himself.
- Turns to dark magic and sorcery and becomes a threat to the kingdom.
The Wizard Martir
- A kind and gentle apprentice wizard under Malecar during Audric’s rule of Vilgar.
- Becomes a friend and confidant to young Audric.
- Has a plan to help Audric during his rule.
- The famous sorcerer of King Arthur’s court at Camelot
- Given the magical Sword of Time by the Lady of the Lake
- Helps Martir to create the refuge The Forest of Time
- A nobleman from Northumbria
- Breeds and trains Arabian horses
- Sir Gilbert’s beautiful young daughter from Northumbria
- An accomplished horsewoman
- The eldest of three sisters—all of them witches
- A good person at heart who loves her sisters dearly
- Casts a spell over the men of Goff
Tamsyn and Jadisa
- Theodora’s beautiful younger siblings.
- Tamsyn dabbles in the darker aspects of magic and witchcraft.
- Jadisa practices the healing arts of magic and loves to entertain the children of the surrounding villages.
- King Audric’s children: Prince Brayden and Princess Tiana
- Brayden is the oldest child and next in line to the throne of Vilgar
- The pride of his parents
- Being trained in the arts of war by his father and Sergeat Alistair
- Tiana is an independent spirit, two years younger than her brother Brayden
- She would prefer to be riding or hunting with her brother rather than studying her lessons at the castle
- A young street urchin rescued by King Audric and made a page in the castle
- Becomes Brayden’s closest friend and ally
- Develops a love for Tiana
- The brash and stern Sergeant-at-Arms of Vilgar Castle
- Trains Brayden in the arts of war with sword and lance
- Sergeant of the Royal Guards of Vilgar
Cork and Tuck
- Fishermen from the northwestern hamlet of Goff
- Both transformed by a witch’s spell into shorter men
- Their travels bring them to the Forest of Time where they meet Martir
- They agree to become caretakers of the animals in Martir’s Forest of Time